Back To Auction Map
Back To Home Page
History Index
Wildlife Index
Dagnam Park Map
Noak Hill Map

 

Harold Hill Farm and Harold Hill House (now known as the Red House in North Hill Drive)

This Map 1896

This farm was created by the Neave family after the purchase of the manor of Gooshays in 1829; and was formed by the merger of Payne's Farm and other smallholdings. The farmhouse for the new farm was previously that of Payne's Farm, the houses for both farms lay in the same position within what is now Harold Hill. This farm was sold by the Neaves in 1919; the tenant at that time was Mr. C. Brooks, the yearly rent was £193. The farm may have been bought by a Mr. Craig in that year.
 The owner, when Harold Hill Farm was compulsorily purchased by the London County Council in 1946, was a Mr. J.K. Corbett; who also owned "The Warrens" which lay near the "Plough" at Gallows Corner, this house was also purchased by the L.C.C.

LOT 7. HAROLD HILL FARM. (from 1919 auction catalogue)

A MODERN FARM HOUSE.
Containing : Five Bed Rooms, Dressing Room, Three Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Wash House, Cellar and Wood Shed, with a Good Garden, and Two-stall Nag Stable, Harness Room, Fodder Room and Coach House.


THE OLD FARM HOUSE.
Now occupied as a Cottage, containing : Three Bed Rooms, Box Room, Living Room, Kitchen, Scullery, Pantry, Larder and Wood Shed.
THE FARM BUILDINGS.


Comprising : Modem Cow House for 32 Cows, Barn with Lean-to Piggeries, Bull Pen and Mixing Room, Open Cattle Shed, Cart Horse Stable for Seven Horses, Old Stable for Three Horses, with Chaff Room and Cow Stalls for Four Cows, Cooling Room, Chicken House, Cart Shed, and Waggon and Implement Shed, with an Open Shed in Field.
The whole Farm comprising : 137a. 1r. 21 p. of Arable, Pasture and Woodland.
The Occupier was Mr. C. Brooks who Paid £193 10s 0d per annum on a Yearly Tenancy. G.P.O. Acknowledgment Is Rent for Telegraph Pole.
Outgoings :
Tithe Rent Charge (commuted amount) £29 15s l0d. Land Tax : £6 7s 0d.
The Purchaser was Mr. Ernst who paid £3,500.

The next three photos, (the first, almost front on) were taken in 1981 from various vantage points when the building served as a Working Mens Club. It was taken over by a housing assn in the early 1990's and modified and converted into flats. At that time it was refurbished and re-roofed and the grotesque front porch was removed. At the same time some equally inappropriate dormers were added. Presumably to maximise the number of flats possible.

I suppose if that is what was required, then it was preferrable to dissuse and eventual demolition. The last photo in the series is how it looked from the front/right in the late 90s.