MAIN PAGE HISTORY INDEX WILDLIFE INDEX   DAGNAM PARK MAP NOAK HILL MAP

 

Quarles and Harrowfields were the first Secondary Modern Schools to be opened on Harold Hill. They were four huge single sex schools and they were rapidly over filled. In Quarles Boy's School alone there were over 1000 pupils by 1961.

Future generations would know this school site under different names, Kingswood, Neave (Upper School) and the Harold Hill Community School (Weald) but when this image was taken it was known as Harrowfield's (Boy's) School. Opened in 1953/4 Harrowfield's catered for the children from the eastern side of the housing estate with its nearest senior school being Quarles, separated by the Manor and Hatter's Wood. However in 1973 both schools merged with Quarles becoming the Lower School whilst what was Harrowfields changing its name and becoming Neave Upper school. Shortly after the merger the Lower School pupils were attending the Settle Road school and in 1976 the Quarles site was transferred over to higher education becoming Havering Technical College (Quarles Campus). In 2010 the former Harrowfields site had a further name change and became Drapers Academy. The buildings shown in the image below remained in use as Draper's whilst a new building (the present Draper's Academy) was constructed on the site of Harrowfield's Girls School. It was officially opened by the Queen in October 2012.

Don Tait